AndesSAT 2010 Practical Sessions
25 to 29 October 2010
During the workshop on the applications of integrated space technologies for sustainable development in the mountain regions of Andean countries (AndesSAT 2010) practical sessions were provided on the use of the ESA EO software toolboxes.
The workshop, organised jointly by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Vice Ministry of Science and Technology on behalf of the Government of Bolivia, with a strong support from the Argentinian Space Agency (CONAE), was held in Cochabamba, Bolivia, from the 25 to 29 October 2010.
The practicals took place in two afternoon sessions on Tuesday 26 and Wednesday 27. These sessions involved exercises in processing EO data from a range of different satellite sensors (both radar and optical) using the ESA software toolboxes BEAM, NEST and LEOWorks.
Processing with Open Source ESA Toolbox NEST
- Orthorectification of ASAR data
- Flood Mapping over Ecuador using ASAR data
Processing with Open Source ESA Toolbox BEAM
- Orthorectification of MERIS data and geometric correction of PROBA HRC data
- Burnt area mapping with SPOT data over Greece
Image Segmentation and Comparison of Optical and Radar Imagery
- Segmentation of MERIS image
- Comparison of MERIS bands, segmented layer and ASAR image
Glacier Monitoring Exercises with the Free ESA Software LEOWorks
- Glacier flow velocity measurement using ASTER data
- Multispectral analysis of glacier retreat and advance using Landsat data
- Glacier delineation using Landsat data
- Radar response to ice and snow using ASAR data
Data for exercises: